1. When you were young, what job did you picture yourself having as an adult?
When I was about five, I wanted to work in a sweet shop, but beyond that I really don’t remember.
2. When did you first realise you wanted to be an artist?
It wasn’t until my teens that I decided to pursue art as a career.
3. Were you good at art at school?
Yes, I was always better at art than academic subjects.
4. Do you remember the first exhibition you went to?
I don’t really think my parents took me to art exhibitions but I remember seeing Sean Scully on a trip to London whilst on my Foundation course.
5. Which artist do you most admire?
6. Which talent of his do you covet?
I’m really moved by the atmosphere he creates.
7. If you could own any one painting in history, which would it be?
Carnival Evening by Henri Rousseau.
8. What’s the best exhibition you’ve seen recently?
Alexander McQueen at the V&A. Actually that was about four years ago but I don’t get out much.
9. Is there one place that’s had a decisive influence on your work?
Epic mountains. Trips to Patagonia in South America, the Atacama Desert in Bolivia, and Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada have all influenced my current work massively. I’ve never actually been to the Alps though so I guess that would be next.
10. Where in the world would you like to spend six months making your art?
11. What subjects are you always drawn to in your work and why?
Mountains and bleak landscapes. Studying them compels me to imagine the absolute aloneness and potential danger that one would find oneself in in such inhospitable and desolate environments. I find that thought exciting.
12. Which colour do you find yourself using in your work more frequently than others?
My work is quite monochrome at the moment so not really any colour in particular.
13. How often do you produce a new picture, on average?
It’s really hard to say. I work on several at the same time.
14. What’s your studio like?
A haven of calm and tranquillity. (Not really.)
15. How do you relax?
16. What’s your most treasured possession?
My children’s hospital bands from when they were born.
17. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
Peanut butter and banana smoothie.
18. If you could go back in time, when and where would you go?
Victorian London. I think about it a LOT.
19. What plans do you have to develop your art?
I couldn’t possibly divulge my secrets.
20. How would you like to be remembered?
As a good mother and an honest person.